• Social Media - Facebook

Hello again,

Over the last couple of weeks the subject of the SMAXOC Facebook page has taken up quite a lot of time, and not for wholly positive reasons. As I have previously advised there are a very small number of members here on the forum who seem to think that it is ok to copy and paste information from the Members Only Sections on to the Facebook page. In fact this is not ok and is actually a breach of copyright as laid out in the terms and conditions of being admitted to this forum. Written at the bottom of the main landing/home page is the following -
    All Rights Reserved © SMAX Owners Club 2005-2014
    In addition to that statement I would refer all members back to this page - http://www.smaxownersclub.com/forum/...=vb3_board_faq Please read the statement regarding Copyright -
    The copyright in all material on this board, written or visual, as posted by any user, member or associate is transferred to and retained by SMAXOC by the act of posting
    The reason that we added this statement is for the protection of those members who willingly contribute their time, effort & knowledge to the forum. They do so free of charge to help others and they should be publically thanked for their contributions no matter how large or small. It is therefore upsetting to see that their contributions are being shared openly on social media. This is unacceptable and is not going to be tolerated.

So please accept this message as fair notice that if you do copy & paste anything to ANY other webpage, social media stream or owner's forum we will immediately delete your account from this forum and the Facebook page (if you are a member there too). No second chances, no appeal, no re-admission, no negotiation, the admin's decision is final.

That's the nasty stuff out of the way. I don't enjoy this, I'm not on some almighty power trip but I am here to see fair play. By this I mean that I am not now, nor in the future, going to delete the Facebook group. Some (many?) will disagree with this decision and if you do then I respect your opinion. The fact is that SMAXOC should continue to administer a Facebook page so that we engage with those owners who consider that forums are now dated and that social media is the way ahead. Who knows, maybe FB will be gone in 5 years? We should apply the same sentiment to other social media platforms such as YouTube, Twitter & Instagram to name but 3. If we don't do it then someone else will and I personally consider that to be a bad move.

The problem with this is that it all takes man hours to keep an eye on what is being posted. Our pool of moderators and administrators has dwindled over the years which means that those still with the club are increasingly taking on more responsibility. The problem there is that we all have jobs and families that also demand our time. No one is being paid to sit here and run the whole club. Put very simply we cannot afford that unless we increase membership fees enormously and start trying to attract advertising to turn ourselves in to a poor image of sites such as Pistonheads. We are an owner's club that has been run as a not-for-profit club since the outset and I don't see that changing.

Where I am going with this is as follows. If you personally want to get more involved with the club then drop me a line and let's discuss your interest. If you don't want to get more involved, or you don't have the spare time then that's fine, but please don't have a moan at those of us who volunteer our time when we don't/can't respond instantly because we're doing something else like trying to earn a crust.

The membership of SMAXOC and it's Facebook page grows on a daily basis and I believe that this growth will continue so long as Ford keep making the S-Max. So my plea to you all is to get involved here and on social media. Be positive with your comments and accept that the internet is an ever-changing animal to which the club must respond. Positive ideas and suggestions will always be welcomed as will any member who wants to offer some of their time to the club to keep an eye on who is saying what.

Thank you for reading.

Paul.